I recently moved the horses to a new barn. It’s a piece of property that had horses on it a few years ago, so some infrastructure was already in place. There were fences that needed to be repaired and a shelter for the horses that’s in good shape. We did a lot of work in a short time to get it ready, but I think it will be a good fit for us. There’s still work that needs to be done, but we have a nice group of people boarding together that don’t mind a little bit of work.
We need to expand the fence and repair a shed on the property so that we can use it for a feed and tack room. We cleaned the shed up and it’s usable as it is, but part of the roof is missing. We definitely need to get that repaired before we move our tack in.
Moving day was a ton of work. We walked the horses over and packed my trailer up with all of our food and tack. We put up round pen panels as temporary fencing to expand the area the horses could graze on.
There is grass on the property, which is different than my last place. At the last place, there was only sand. The grass won’t last here long because we have too many horses on too small of an area, but that’s the way it goes at the beach. There isn’t a lot of land here and we were lucky to find this place.
We can access the same trails as we did at our old barn. We have to do a little ride through a neighborhood but the horses have been through that neighborhood before, and it was no big deal.
We have some plans to fix the place up a little, and cater it to our needs. It’s a work in progress, but the horses seem happy!